Saturday, September 1, 2012

Week 4 -- July 10th


Week 4's share included lettuce, beets, fennel, pea tendrils, green beans, napa cabbage, basil, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. The cherry tomatoes were my first of the season and they were super sweet!

This was my first experience using fennel, although I have eaten it before. I sliced up the fennel bulb and used it in an improvised pasta dish with sausage and white wine, and added a little bit of chopped fennel fronds for garnish. I thought it was okay used that way but that it lacked something. The rest of the family aren't big fans of anise/licorice flavors so no one was super enthused about the dish.

Farmer Adam suggested that I find a way to use the fronds since they were so lush and plentiful. I ended up freezing them and the tough stalks to use in an Italian-style chicken soup (I'm thinking with cannellini beans) when the weather turns cooler.

I used the basil to make pesto with a recipe I've used many times in the past. I used walnuts instead of pine nuts because I always have walnuts on hand and find that pine nuts are a little too pricey for my liking. I remembered the recipe quite fondly but this time found it kind of unbalanced flavor-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment