Friday, August 31, 2012

Week 3 -- July 3rd


This week was radishes, spring onions, lettuce, baby bok choy, kohlrabi, carrots, summer squash and sugar snap peas.

I thought the radishes looked really cool, nothing like anything I'd ever seen in a supermarket. I think they were either "French Dressing" or "French Breakfast" radishes. French Breakfast radishes are more common, but looking at photos of the two varieties they seem to resemble French Dressing radishes more closely. They're pretty similar-looking though. They were quite peppery, much stronger than the supermarket variety to which I'm accustomed. I used some in salads.

The spring onions I quartered through the stem and grilled them as described in this post. The bulbs were great, but the green parts charred easily and were pretty tough and chewy where they weren't burnt.

I used the baby bok choy in an improvised stir-fry.

The kohlrabi was totally new to me. I read many helpful articles online, including this one which I love if only for the introduction of the phrase "WTF, CSA?" as in when one shouts "WTF?" upon looking into the week's CSA box. Anyway, kohlrabi's pretty awesome. It tastes a lot like the stem part of a head of broccoli. I made a slaw with the kohlrabi using a recipe very like this one (perhaps even this one! I can't recall.)

At the end of the week, there were still some veggies kicking around, notably a handful of radishes, carrots, sugar snap peas and squash, so I cut up the squash and carrots into large chunks, tossed everything with olive oil and sea salt and roasted it in the oven until caramelized and yummy. I used the roasted veggies in a frittata one night for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment