Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Week 7 -- July 31st


This week's share included microgreens, arugula, onions, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, tomatillos and heirloom tomatoes.

What are microgreens? According to You Grow Girl, they are "tender and tangy lettuce and mustard greens that are chopped off young, usually when they are only an inch or so high at the most and barely a few weeks old." And according to me, they are super tasty! These were little round leaves and were a little peppery, reminiscent of arugula... yummy. I used them in a salad with the cherry tomatoes.

The cucumbers were made into more pickles -- used Kittencal's kosher garlic-dill refrigerator pickle recipe again, this time with the called-for amount of garlic.

I used the tomatillos to make Chicken Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Chile Salsa. It was kind of a ton of work, considering I started with a store-bought rotisserie chicken. They were pretty good, I thought, but not the best enchiladas I'd ever had by any means. I felt the tomatillo flavor was rather lost here. In hindsight, I should've made a simple tomatillo salsa instead.

The arugula, as usual, was used to "green up" any dish I had on hand that I felt needed it (color-wise and nutrition-wise).

The heirloom tomatoes and onions were augmented with a farmstand bell pepper to make fresh tomato salsa for my 15-year-old; he can inhale homemade salsa by the gallon.

No squash this week... we were drowning in zucchini and crookneck squash from our home garden so didn't want to pile on with CSA varieties (although theirs are much more fun to look at than ours). We also had a ton of cherry and grape tomatoes (red and yellow) from our home garden, but there's no such thing as too many summer tomatoes in my book so I was happy to bring more home from the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment