Friday, September 14, 2012

Week 13 -- September 11th


Week 13's share consisted of red onions, bok choy, salad greens, broccoli raab, white turnips, heirloom tomatoes, bell peppers and cherry tomatoes.

I used the bok choy in a stir-fry dish to go alongside my (mostly) homemade Kung Pao Chicken. The Kung Pao Chicken is mostly homemade because I use a bottled sauce to season my chicken, water chestnuts, bell peppers (yes, the bell peppers from the share!), celery and roasted peanuts. I've tried all sorts of recipes in the past and none of them came close to bringing what this sauce does, plus I can't beat the convenience. Anyway, back to the bok choy... I cut up the stalks and leaves and stir-fried them with light soy sauce, oyster sauce, a dash of sugar and a heaping spoonful of chili-garlic paste (if you want to see the brands I prefer, click the links). So simple and good -- the farm-fresh bok choy remained crunchy and juicy where store-bought bok choy usually becomes increasingly mushy as it cooks.

The salad greens, cherry tomatoes and red onions, along with some sliced local Ginger Gold apples, made their way into a fall-ish salad, which I dressed with my new favorite -- Trader Joe's Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette. Low in fat and chock full of flavor -- I can't get enough of it!


The heirloom tomatoes were yummy in panini made with muenster cheese and focaccini rolls (thanks again to Trader Joe's for the focaccini!), as well as simply sliced and sprinkled with sea salt.


The revelation of the week was the dish I made with the white turnips.  I peeled the turnips, sliced them thin and sauteed them until tender with a drizzle of olive oil and sliced garlic. Toward the end of cooking I tossed in the rough-chopped turnip greens and seasoned the whole thing with sea salt and freshly ground black peppers. My husband, who grew up on mashed turnip and yet is not a fan, loved it. A definite keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment